8.31.2009

My Grandmother is the Best - by Alix DeWald

I know my grandmother is a person full of persons. How could I possibly summarize her? Louise DeWald lived with such verve that it sometimes seemed as though she was more than just one dynamic lady. 

I met her through imaginative stores about the "teeny weeny lady", which she spun partly from a new small children's books, but mostly from her colorful mind. I remember loving those stories, different every time, even when my sister and I asked for the same one. I remember her tucking me in at night; I remember special Grandmother eggs (which I am currently trying to replicate with little success. Her brand of love is impossible to replicate, which obviously means the taste of my copycat eggs will be less delicious). I remember her old house, the only other house of hers I ever knew though I feel like I have known all of them - we cal all attest to her impeccable long-term memory. I remember her as an always-colorful, always-active woman of countless circles of friends, causes, and hobbies.

And though I remember these things, there are many more things which I cannot keep in my memory alone, but it is of no matter. She showed not only me, but also the world her bright spectrum of life. She showed us all her array of interests throughout her eclectic life of family, travel, cooking, and more, all while maintaining a staggering amount of relationships. Her compassion was endless; she gave her entire self whenever we were in need. If you've ever received one of her hugs, you'll know this. 

I know that we all love Louise DeWald, and that we all love her for different reasons. She is multi-colored, but we can all agree that the blend has always been something wonderful. I am honored to have spent time with her, to be of her golden blood, and to be able to say why I love her so endlessly. My grandmother has always been a timeless gem who will remain a shining beacon in our family tree and in our lives and memories forever. 

- Alix DeWald, grand-daughter of Louise DeWald

No comments:

Post a Comment